18/02/2016

Eating Trim Health Mama Way, Ethically. Possible?

The Trim Healthy Mama Plan is amazing! It's biblical, it caters for all individuals. It works. It's been a blessing to me for the past 6 months. I've had about 20 victories with the THM plan and I can't hype about it enough HERE and HERE. I love THM!

At first our dishes were loaded with dairy products. The THM book recommends to eat the "full fat cream" and "butter" and enjoy the "cheese" for they are approved foods. The book even quoted "Abraham's encounter with the angels: He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree.
" and other scripture where it clearly reads that dairy was consumed etc. 

So, my conscience has been bugging me about the grain fed, GMO fed, caged and mistreated animals, which lead me onto a mission to buy more organic and trust that making these healthy egological changes, god would provide us the means. It happened, we've managed to buy organic grass fed beef, homestead organic eggs, and organic cheese etc. Great, right!? Well there is more. Sadly.

After stumbling across a short clip of how dairy cows are impregnated and separated from their babies right after birth, over and over again, just for our dairy "needs"?




This picture got to me. I have a baby. I know that we differ from the animals, and have been given "stewardship" over them, but I do not believe in exploiting them. 

What else did I come across?
This... the milk, that have the "cow growth hormone" is not allowed for her, but taken -for us.

and...

this. Is this ethical?

I ended up doing my own research and contacting a few local organic farms to find the "ethical farm" that would not do such an inhumane thing as separating a baby calf from it's mother immediately after birth... surely?? 

Unfortunately, I have yet to find one :( 

What I did find, I am struggling with. It made me question my family's diet and where we buy our foods from. I have gone back and forth with scripture... "He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree"... what about the exploitation of dairy cows..what am I supposed to do.. now that I know. But now I know. Now, I know. How do I move forward with the information, conviction, guilt and trust the Word??

Just to dissect the scripture a little the lay man way, before I talk about my ideal way of raising dairy cows -
He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared, -stop here! He brought these to ANGELS. Not, billy and Jane next door, but to divine angels. Angels! Did the cow just give birth to a calf that didn't make it? Was this an unfortunate birth that ended sadly, and nothing was wasted? Was the cow milked and the milk made into butter. Was this a special treat, a special "angelic treat"? I wonder if back then, dairy and cheese and butter was such a special food, that only happened once in a while? Was it reserved for guests of honour, weddings or such? It makes me think. Okay let's move on, .."and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree". He obviously didn't eat it himself. Interesting...? Any thoughts?


So what is my ideal dairy cow farming? I am not sure, I guess I am still thinking through it, but let's dream a little. :) (I know farm life, so I won't go into all the details of water expense, the labour etc) Firstly, I don't think we ought to be consuming so much dairy in the first place. (Then the second part, seems to be more realistic) Secondly, I think a neighborhood should share a cow. "Cowshare". Let's pretend I have a homestead, mostly "plant based" homestead. I got myself a dairy cow, her name is Bessie. Bessie is a sweet cow, she grazes all day and fertilizes the ground for the next years crop. She is expecting:) (naturally) yay! Our kids are super stoked to "baby" Bessie's calf. She is so adorable. She is nursing well and is playful. It's so lovely to see them bond! There is our window to milk Bessie in between her feeds with her baby. We get enough milk for homemade cheese and perhaps some fresh milk. Maybe we can make clotted cream for our homemade scones, and any other special dairy treat that we've been craving for :) buttermilk, kefir, etc? Lovely! Bessie's babe is growing well, everything is well at the homestead. It's just like "Little House On The Prairie" where these special foods are not taken for granted. they feed our tummies and our souls, oh how do we appreciate Bessie's dairy! One day, unfortunately Bessie for one or another reason has to be put down. She served us well, we appreciate her, we love her and "wish her well". Her meat nourishes us for quite some time, her bones are made into broth, her blood nourishes the land and her hide is put to good use. She is not wasted, and her beautiful creation, "baby Bessie" takes her place on our homestead. SO the cycle starts all over again.

Yes I know, that sounded like a fairy tale and that there is so much "more" to having a dairy cow... I know. But this is MY daydream. This dream is the "ethical" that is missing in my "organic". 

SO, how am I going to keep on following the THM plan according to my convictions?


  • I am going to have to give up or eat very little dairy. I will have to hunt for dairy free options and be on a mission to eventually find my "ethical farm". I am sure He will provide. Until then, I hear great things about "goat's milk" and their "baby breaks". maybe I'll develop a taste for goat's yoghurt and cheese? (we haven't drank dairy milk in 7 years anyway)
  • Increase protein and calcium rich plant based food in our diets.
  • Keep moving forward with buying more organic vegetables, eggs and meat. (I have my "dealers" I know where my eggs and beef come from)
  • Eat less meat.
  • Grow our own urban vegetable garden, and teach my kids how to also.
  • Keep doing the THM plan like normal. I mean, it's possible, there are a lot of people out there allergic to dairy! It can be done.
So, for those who also struggle with this, put it out there, God knows where you're at, He will meet you THERE. He loves to provide. LOVES. There is nothing wrong with going "ethical", but there is something wrong with going against YOUR convictions. Pray about it, ask Him to take them away if they're not from Him, or to give you options if they are.


Let me know what your thoughts are??

**I am not looking to debate, any negative comments will not be published**


1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting post, my only comment is that we have a dairy farm nearby that does separate the babies within 1-2 hours of birth, for their protection from the other cows. The pregnant cows are all in the same pasture, so that birthing can be as natural as possible. But with that comes the potential for harm/death if the calf is not taken out of the pasture. The calf is put into a small pen with a extra large "dog house" and straw. The mother is then milked and the milk is bottle fed to the calf. This continues until the calf can be weaned. The mother is only milked for the calf consumption. Once its weaned, the mother goes on to continue producing milk for the dairy farm. The only time the cows are locked inside a concrete building is during their milking, otherwise they live in pastures. They even have an open (but covered) "lounging" area for the hot weather days or stormy days. :)

    I think it is important to remember that we were given domain over the animals, that doesnt mean we should abuse them, but we shouldnt put their welfare over the health of our own bodies.

    http://www.simplynaturalcreamery.com/ I'm not sure if they ship, as far as I know they only sell their items in stores locally (Eastern NC). But perhaps you will find something similar to this place! :)

    ReplyDelete