25/06/2014

YOU Can Do One! - DIY Wall Decor Step By Step Guide



My husband is out of town. The creative bug has bit me. I'm bored of our bedroom, it's white and sterile and not the "boudoir" I would want it to be. We don't spend a lot of time in our bedroom, so we never thought of investing in the decor, since it felt like a waste of money -for us, so I came up with this idea. My husband doesn't know about it yet, but I'm sure by the time you are reading this post, he knows as well. This is how I did it, and this is how you can too!





First I thought about what I wouldn't mind looking at each night and then I 'googled' for ideas. In this case I 'googled' for images of Cherry Blossom trees. I took a pencil and while I was holding my phone in my left hand, I sketched as I saw fit. Yes, free handed, straight onto the wall. Trust me, it's OK -you can always erase it if it looks wonky. I didn't measure or even try to copy the images I looked at. I just took a rough idea of what the branches looked like and how they fell, then I sketched away! 

A good idea is to sketch eye level, any picture or frame looks best at eye level. My husband is tall, so i kind of estimated my way around.

 (These are very light, click to see them, or any photo larger)

I used a spirit level to draw lines on which I could use to write on. 

I decided to use acrylic (which I watered down a bit) paint for a few reasons. I am pregnant and can't be breathing in toxic fumes, I make mistakes, I change my mind often, I wanted to do it now, I can always wash it off if I'm unhappy or I can gloss it over, if it's just how I want it. This way, it lasts!

So I went through some verses I liked and I found Song Of Solomon 3:4, that goes well with us!

..." I have found The One whom my soul Loves"...

Then I decided on the colours. I went with our bedroom curtains, different hues of blue/turquoise.


I painted away! I'm one of those people who likes to finish it right away. Unfortunately if I stretch it out a few days, it will never get finished. 






If you paint over your sketching, there will be less erasing afterwards. Trust me, it hurts to erase pencil off the wall, ha ha!


Then... after the branches and text were finished I took some old laminated schedules and used them as stencils for my blossoms. I took a permanent fine point marker and sketched a few blossoms real quick. I tried making them all shapes and sizes.




After this I stenciled away! :)








I added some flowers around the picture, to give it a flowing effect. I'm hoping I succeeded! I took another brush and hand painted darker details inside the flowers and fixed my mistakes around the letters.




After I was happy with it, I hand painted finer details in the flowers.


Finally I went over the letters with left over black to give it more of a depth. I was done. It'll do!

Hope he likes it!! 




And now, I'll tackle the kids' room!! Try and stop me!

More DIY and Crafts ideas HERE!

Check out the mural I painted in our living room HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment